Alan D.L. SihoeMBBChir, MA(Cantab), FRCSEd, FCCP, FACS
Thoracic Surgeon and Honorary Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgery,
Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospital
Consultant in Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, CUHK Medical Centre, Hong Kong
Education, Training and Positions
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery – University of Cambridge, UK
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow, College of Surgeons of Hong Kong
- Fellow, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine
Selected Academic Positions:
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Section Editor, Asian Cardio-Vascular and Thoracic Annals
- International Director, Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
- Council Member, Asian Society for Cardio-Vascular and Thoracic Surgery (ASCVTS)
- Board Member, Asia Thoracoscopic Surgery Education Platform (ATEP)
- Council Member, Hong Kong Society of Minimal Access Surgery (HKSMAS)
- Program Committee, International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS)
Other certificates received:
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours – University of Cambridge, UK
- Master of Arts – University of Cambridge, UK
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Dr Sihoe received his medical training at the University of Cambridge, and after working in Scotland and England, he returned to practice Cardiothoracic Surgery in Hong Kong and China, specializing in minimally invasive Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS). He was Clinical Associate Professor of the Department of Surgery at the University of Hong Kong and Chief of Thoracic Surgery at the University of Hong Kong Shenzhen Hospital before recently moving to private practice in Hong Kong. Dr Sihoe is currently Honorary Consultant in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospital.
Dr Sihoe is an internationally recognized advocate of ‘next generation’ VATS techniques – especially uniportal and needlescopic chest surgery. He is an avid medical educator, and has been invited to perform surgery and lecture at surgical conferences and educational events on every continent in the world. His work in thoracic surgery and clinical research has won multiple awards – including from the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS) and the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS). In 2018, Dr Sihoe was the recipient of the prestigious Medical Sciences Technical Award (2nd Class) from the Chinese Medical Association.
Research and Publications
Dr Sihoe has authored or co-authored published over 200 peer-reviewed journal articles, conference abstracts and book chapters in the international literature.
Membership in Professional Societies
Dr Sihoe has previously served in leadership roles in multiple Cardio-Thoracic Surgery societies in Europe and Asia, and he continues to actively to promote clinical and academic practices in the specialty through teaching around the world.
Membership in following Professional Societies: ACCP, ACS, ASCVTS, ATCSA, ATEP, EACTS, ESTS, ISMICS, STS
Associate Editor, European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery; Section Editor, Asian Cardio-Vascular and Thoracic Annals
Why I am passionate about Drainology™
"The outcome of even the most skillful cardio-thoracic surgery can be completely undone by inadequate postoperative chest drain management. Mastery of chest drainage needs to be a core competency for any cardio-thoracic surgeon today."
All Board Members »